Thursday, July 7, 2011

Curried Cabbage & Peas

Curried Cabbage & Peas (page 111)
(substituting baby yellow squash for carrot)


Tonight was kind of a disorganized dinner-making experience. Still, dinner made it to the table, and that's what's important, right?

First of all, I didn't get home until nearly 6:00 pm, and I really wasn't in the mood to cook dinner as soon as I walked in the door. I was really quite tempted to just pick up some Chinese take-out on the way home, but I told myself, no, we have food at home, and Chinese take-out is way too greasy, anyway.

I had originally planned to make the Braised Cabbage with Seitan (page 97), but my week didn't go exactly as planned, and I didn't have any prepared seitan for the recipe. But, I still had the cabbage. Amy commented here on yesterday's post that she recently enjoyed the Curried Cabbage & Peas; I thought, hey, I've got peas! I'll make that! Along with the 40-Clove Chickpeas & Broccoli, since I've also got a big pot of chickpeas and some broccoli hanging out in the refrigerator. OK, a plan was in place.

I quickly got the chickpeas, broccoli, and garlic (and quartered small red potatoes) in the oven to roast, then I started slicing up an onion and the cabbage. Then I discovered, oops, no fresh ginger root. I figured this qualified for one of those "in a pinch" situations, so I subbed dried ginger. Then I realized, darn, no carrots! Well, might as well use up those baby yellow squash that have been languishing in the crisper drawer.

The resulting Curried Cabbage & Peas turned out okay, but not great. I'm sure the missing fresh ginger root would have made a big difference. And the carrots certainly would have made it more colorful. But all-in-all, it wasn't bad, especially considering the last-minute ingredient substitutions that were made.

I'm always trying to think of ways to make these veggie "side dishes" into a more satisfying complete meal. I bet this would be great served over brown rice with the addition of some cubed tofu or chickpeas.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, that's too bad for the fresh ginger and carrots! I had the leftovers from mine yesterday for lunch and it was still good. I was thinking of pairing it up with the Masala Baked Tofu one of these days - have you made that yet? And I do think throwing some chickpeas or tofu cubes would also be good in this.

Christy said...

I really appreciate your honesty on your blog. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't feel tempted to grab take out on nights I don't feel like cooking. And it's encouraging about hearing you making it happen in spite of your feelings and not having all the right ingredients. Bravo!

Wendy said...

Have you made the black beans in mole sauce yet? Just wanting your input before I give it a whirl for dinner tonight!

Julie Ann said...

Amy, I think pairing it with the Masala Baked Tofu is a great idea! I've made it twice; you can read about my experiences here:
http://reductionproject.blogspot.com/2011/05/potato-spinach-curry.html
http://reductionproject.blogspot.com/2011/04/masala-baked-tofu.html

Christy - thank you so much for your encouraging words!

Hi Wendy, I haven't yet made the black beans in mole sauce as a stand-alone dish, but I did make the Red Velvet Mole for the Mexicana Kale Bowl.
http://reductionproject.blogspot.com/2011/04/mexicana-kale-bowl.html
It's a really good mole, but not the very best I've ever had. I suppose my mole standards are extremely high after living with my Mexican mother-in-law and learning many things from her in the kitchen. ;-)