Friday, August 5, 2011

Moroccan Chickpeas & Zucchini

Moroccan Chickpeas & Zucchini (page 249)
served with quinoa and green salad


Another winner from Appetite for Reduction! I enjoyed this a lot. It had a nice flavor, with a comforting blend of spices. I always love chickpeas, so I'm already biased there. As a bonus, this recipe makes a huge pot-ful, and I was able to freeze several portions for El Hombre to have on hand when the girls and I will be traveling for a couple of weeks.

I wasn't sure the girls would like this recipe, since the spices are on the exotic side, and it has cooked zucchini, which is usually not a favorite. So, I tried to bill this as a cultural experience for them: we got out the globe to find Morocco, we played some Moroccan music during dinner, we looked at pictures of traditional Moroccan dress, etc. Did it work? Well, they both said they liked it, but neither ate a whole lot, so I'm not sure.

Instead of the suggested couscous, I served this with quinoa, which I thought made a nice alternative.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds good to me - I love chickpeas too!

Anonymous said...

I keep waiting for my zucchini to form so I can make this, but I don't think it is ever going to happen :(

Crazy Cat Guy said...

Really enjoyed reading your bloggie! Spent way to long last night reading your posts... How far do you think your into the cookbook (IE how many recipes down/left to go?) I think I"m going to be cooking a few recipes out of this book now that I probably would have skipped since they seemed so good on your blog! Thanks for the pictures of things it really makes a huge difference! Keep up the good vegan fight!

Dr. Cat said...

I'm so happy I found this blog!!! My husband just got Appetite for Reduction for Christmas and we can't WAIT to jump in! I think I'm developing a bit of a soy allergy and I love how she has such a variety of recipes. Thank you for doing this blog!!

I've added you to my blog's "blogroll"(happyrehabdoc.blogspot.com)--can't wait to see what you post next! :-)

EssMick said...

G'day!

I got this book for Christmas, and actually made this dish on Friday - I wrote about it on my new blog (http://vegienomnom.blogspot.com/). I look forward to reading through your blog to pick out the best recipes - there are so many tasty ideas in there!!

Anonymous said...

Is your blog dead? I'd like to see it continue on, if you could! I keep my eye out for new posts, but haven't seen any...

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. It's going to take some time to read through all the back posts and to make notes in my own AFR, but I also hope more posts will be added.

Meanwhile, thank you for all the guidance into great culinary adventures!

Anonymous said...

Julie Aaaaaaannnnnn.... where aaaaaaare yoooooouuuu.....

We love this blog. Please come back.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to have found your blog. I made the Moroccan chickpeas and zucchini last night and everyone loved it! I followed your advice and got couscous which was also a hit.

What I like about your blog is i do the experimenting for me so that I know what to expect. I passed this recipe by over and over again because of its name, but since you provided a picture, it just looked so yummy that I had to give it a shot. Good thing, too, because it made it to the "keep making it" list.

Thank you!